Wednesday, December 18

CHRISTMAS COOKIES: Butter press Cookies


Although my grandmother made these growing up, I really think if my mother when I see press cookies. She would spend hours pressing these out into sheet after sheet, with the hum of her automatic press lightly in the background. My cousin and I can eat full trays of these alone. I honestly have no idea where this recipe comes from, it's in a hand written index card which is probably older than me.

Full time: 1 1/2 hours (includes baking multiple batches and cooling time)
Makes 3-4 dozen cookies

You will need:

2 egg yolks
2 1/2 cup flour
1 cup butter, softened 
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
3-4 drops red food coloring
3-4 drops green food coloring
3-4 drops yellow food coloring


Let us begin:

Preheat oven to 400'.

In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar.

Add in egg yolks and vanilla.

Add in salt.

Add in 1 1/2 cups flour.

Add in remaining flour.

Divided dough into 3 equal parts. 

Add one color of food coloring to each and gently knead in color with spatula or gloved hand. Do not over work dough.

Place dough in cookie press and press out 1/4"-1/2" thick cookies onto baking sheet 1 1/2" apart.

Bake full sheets in oven 5-8 minutes or until lightly golden on bottom. If needed reduce heat to 375'.

Remove cookies from oven and let cool on tray 5 minutes.

Move to cutting board to finish cooling completely, enjoy!