- Start with a high heat oven and lower it half way through cooking
- Based at least every 30 minutes
- Use tin foil to tent it for the a majority of the cooking, only remove the foil 20 minutes before your done cooking to brown up the skin
- Watch for proper temperature, you need to cook it until 180 before pulling it from the oven. Make sure you use the thigh to check temperature
- Let it rest, give your turkey a good 10-15 minutes to time sitting on the stove top before you slice into it
Full time: 4-5 hours
You will need:
15-16 lb whole chicken, cleaned and check the inside cavity to make sure to take out the giblets if they are included
1 large onion
3 tbsp butter, divided into 12 small pieces
Let us begin:
Preheat oven to 425
Place turkey into a roasting pan with a rack holding it off the bottom of the pan.
Slide a butter cube into the slit you just made. You want to do this evenly around the turkey, don't forget to get the legs!
Place the onion into the hollow of the turkey.
Pour the water into the pan so that there is a 1/2" of water in the pan.
Tent with tin foil and place in oven. Baste often and watch temperature.
When it hits 100 lower oven to 350.
When it hits 160 remove tin foil and let the skin crisp up. Once it hits 180 remove from oven and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing