Wednesday, June 20

Milk Cookies

Milk cookies are a sudo-creation of my own. I was looking to make buttermilk cookies one day, but after I had most of the ingredients blended I realized my buttermilk had gone back. I had to think for a moment about what I could use the partial blended batter for. I figured I could turn it into a snicker-doodle, so I figured out what I needed to add in and finished off the batter. However, once baked they didn't really taste or have the texture of a snicker doodle. In fact, they were lighter, sweeter, and honestly much better.

This taught me two very valuable lessons early in my baking days: First-always make sure you have every ingredient and it is good before you start. Second-if you make a huge mistake it may turn out to better then the original!

This will make approximately 4 dozen cookies
Full time: 30 minutes (cooling time included)

You will need:

4 eggs
4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup milk
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt

optional: sugar and instant chocolate powdered drink mix for topping
Let us begin:

Preheat your oven to 425 and line a few cookie trays with parchment paper

In a large bowl cream vegetable shortening with sugar
Using a hand mixer, blend in eggs and vanilla extract
Blend in salt, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 cup of milk
Blend in 2 cups of flour, once it is fully mixed add in the remaining milk
Blend in the remaining amount of flour
Drop large rounded spoonfuls of dough onto your lined sheets, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp of dough each
If you want, sprinkle over a little sugar and instant powdered chocolate drink mix
Bake 8-10 minutes, until edges begin to turn a deep golden and top is lightly colored
Allow to cool on tray for 5-8 minutes and then move to board to finish cooling
Your cookies will be light and fluffy with a soft center
   plain
topped

Store in airtight container and enjoy!